Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Irish Reading Shawl

My friend Marion recently told me how much she is enjoying the "Irish Reading Shawl" pattern. From last year's Midwest Ya Ya Sister show -- the Irish Reading Shawl is a great quick gift. In this picture, Mary and I are wearing our two different versions...
We both made our shawls out of vintage wool blankets....Mary chose to place a large button, using a pony tail holder instead of a buttonhole.

We made pockets big enough for a book, remote control, Kindle, etc. My pockets are from a felted sweater...

And, since my original blanket had a great fringe -- I cut it off and REATTACHED the trim around the curved edge of the shawl. This shaped back is the best part of the shawl -- and it's a nice bed jacket as well.

As winter approaches, and we're all trying to keep our thermostats turned down -- the Irish Reading Shawl makes perfect sense -- which makes it a great CHRISTMAS GIFT, EH?

Thanks for reminding me, Marion!! (she's using bits and pieces of some nice polar fleece, leftover from her marathon-charity-jacket-sew-a-thon)...

What other ideas did you get from last year's Expo that are turning into this year's Christmas gifts??

HEY -- speaking of Friday Night LIVE -- remember -- next year, Nancy Zieman will be our entertainment. If you go to Nancy's November 16 blog -- and LEAVE A COMMENT -- you could win the Clover Trace ‘n Create Quilt Template—Dresden Plate and Fan Collection.

But YOU'VE GOT TO HURRY...

I'm telling you -- they are giving away some REALLY FUN STUFF on these sewing blogs...

No comments:

Post a Comment